Deciding to start eliminating toxins from my family’s diet was the easy part. Actually giving them up is much harder.
In regards to healthy eating, I believe that rigidity is the enemy of success. So, I try to focus on an 80/20 rule: we eat clean 80% of the time, leaving about 20% wiggle room for things like going for pizza after a hockey game, or ice cream after school once in a while. I don’t want my kids to have an unhealthy relationship with food, but I certainly want them to be well informed of what’s good and what’s toxic so they can start making good choices at a young age.
There are certain foods (can we really even call them foods?) that are toxic and have no place in a healthy lifestyle. These include vegetable and seed oils, grains, and processed sugar. Our modern, industrialized world has filled grocery stores full of processed, packaged items that bear no resemblance to what our great-grandparents would have considered real food.
Read more about these toxins, and why optimal health cannot be achieved while including them in our diets:
… stay tuned… more to come!